RALEIGH — Vets are urging pet owners to practice caution over the holiday season, as there is typically a significant increase in pet-related emergencies.
Pet owner Lori Taylor was lucky she didn't have to take one of her dogs to the emergency room after it opened one of the gifts under her Christmas tree.
"There was stuffing everywhere, I mean everywhere—all over the floor, in his mouth—so Mr. Leo decided to open the present for me," said Taylor.
Like many pet owners, Taylor knows with her two dogs Leo and Sophie, the holidays can present an extra level of stress.
"This is Leo's first Christmas and he was very interested obviously, so it kind of taught me a lesson, not to leave him alone around the tree,” Taylor said.
Leo didn't get sick, but many animals do.
"We get a lot of concerns of plant ingestion, most of those causing GI upset, chocolate being the big one, and foreign body situations where they can be obstructed with the tinsel and the wrapping paper,” said Dr. Rita Hanel with the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine.
Although Leo already opened a present early, Hanel said it's never too late for pet owners and holiday guests to take caution.
"[Make] sure to tell visitors in your house, if they have something that your dog or cat may like to get into, to be careful if they put it within their reach,” she said.
Dr. Hanel also said it's always good to know where the emergency pet clinics are. Like the NC State Emergency Vet Clinic, many are we are open 24/7.
Read more tips about keeping pets safe during the holidays here.