Monday, September 01, 2014

Follow us:
News 14 Carolina is on Facebook Follow us on Twitter! RSS 

News

Middle school baseball field reopens after coal ash closure

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Middle school baseball field reopens after coal ash closure
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

SOUTHPORT--Middle school baseball players can return to the field at South Brunswick Middle School.

The school district has kept players off the ball field after finding coal ash last year during a re-grading project.

The NC Department of Environmental and Natural Resources has now deemed the field safe to play on after analyzing samples taken from the field.

"We've gone through extensive examinations of the soil and just today have received word that the soil is safe and we may resume student play on those fields," said Superintendent Dr. Edward Pruden.

The coal ash was initially used during a field project in 1992.

"The type of coal ash that they spread in there is very good free-draining material, so that was likely their motivation," said Stephen Miley, Executive Director of Operations.

The field will stay as is, but NCDENR has directed the school system to remove a small pile of ash and soil near the field.

10.11.12.247 ClientIP: 54.166.84.53 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP